Friday, March 02, 2007

Music and Video Internet Platforms

I think maybe the web is beginning to benefit from the coming of age of the people who've now known it and been comfortable with it throughout most of their lives.

Today I came across 2 web based applications that I find very intriguing. Both are multiplatform, open source and therefore free of charge.

The first is called songbird. This was developed by a bunch calling themselves Pioneers of the Inevitable, who also developed Winamp and the Yahoo Music Search, this thing is revolutionary in my experience. If you're a fan of finding new music, as I am, and you're not jittery about beta versions give it a try. I've been playing with it for a few hours now and I haven't found any problems at all. There's a screencast of how it works here.

The other is the democracy internet TV platform. This is not simply a video player although it's that too. Here's what they say about it. "There's an opportunity to build a new, open mass medium of online television. We're developing the Democracy internet TV platform so that watching internet video channels will be as easy as watching TV and broadcasting a channel will be open to everyone. Unlike traditional TV, everyone will have a voice."

No comments: