Monday, December 10, 2007

Canada's Digital Copyright Legislation on hold


It worked.

YOU did it. Damn, I'm proud of you people!

Prole has good news. Michael Geist reports that Industry Minister Jim Prentice will not be introducing legislation on digital copyright tomorrow.
The word this afternoon is that Industry Minister Jim Prentice will not introduce the Canadian DMCA tomorrow. The thousands of letters and phone calls over the past week have urged the government to adopt balanced copyright reforms that meets everyone's needs and does not unduly harm education, consumer rights, privacy, and free speech. The delay provides an exceptional opportunity for Minister Prentice to consult more broadly and to factor those concerns into the forthcoming bill in the interests of all Canadians.


The report has been picked up by the CBC.
A controversial bill that seeks to reform Canadian copyright laws, expected to be introduced early this week, may be quashed after a groundswell of opposition erupted over the past week.

The government last week filed a notice indicating the bill would be introduced this week, leading industry experts to expect it to happen on Tuesday. But a spokesperson for Industry Minister Jim Prentice, who was to introduce the bill, said it would not happen on Tuesday and could not say if it would happen this week.

You did that. Pretty Shaved Ape, Saskboy, James Bow and a ton of others I know I've missed, who were in the front rank of that charge, take a bow. You've earned it. You all just proved that there is something to using the internet as a root for action.

To Industry Minister Jim Prentice: I thank you for taking note. If it is indeed your intention to give any copyright bill you were intending to introduce a better hearing and consultation with Canadian users of digital media, I would commend you for responding to the flood concern sent your way.

Now. Everyone snap out of it.

Catelli has something important to say and it is more than just a little important. We've had Sony rootkits and recently we've had Western Digital attempting to limit the deployment of files using their hardware. In short, regardless of what laws are written, big media IS the same 800 pound gorilla producing the hardware and software we use.

We ain't gonna win this fight. To a certain extent, we already lost it. Us long-time audiovideo-ophiles remember being screwed over by DRM technology way back in the 80s. Backing up VHS movies was way more important back then as VHS tapes fail quite frequently. Its why I never bought any movies on VHS. I knew they would eventually fail and the money invested would be lost. If I couldn't back them up, I didn't want them.

[...]

I submit, to win the DRM/DMCA war, we have to change the terms of the battle. As I posted here, I no longer purchase music, I also don't download it either. I used to. I would download music as a means to evaluate an album, and if I liked it enough, I would go out an buy it. Once the download crackdown started, I abandoned the music scene entirely. I am only one individual, but that explains why my family no longer buys music. Same thing with Macrovision preventing duplicating of VHS tapes. I couldn't back them up, so I didn't buy them. This is my warning to the media corporations. Make it illegal for me to back-up my DVDs, and I will stop purchasing them too. That's how we win this war. If Big Media insists we have no rights to fair use of their product, I insist they have no right to my money. If we all collectively do this, it will make a resounding thud on boardroom tables when the bottom line drops even further.

Read more and leave a comment because Catelli has the solution laid out.

Now, don't let up. I don't see any form of victory here. I see people in action. Stakeholders who could state their concerns and put them on the right table.

Keep them there. This isn't won until someone comes forth and provides a full and transparent consultative process.

And Mr. Prentice, any of us would be more than happy to participate in that process. As long as there is one.

Oh yes. You Blogging Tories need not thank us. You're still stupid useless cocksuckers.

No comments: