Friday, December 21, 2007

Harper on the world stage


If Steve Harper doesn't like being compared to George Bush perhaps he shouldn't employ Bush phraseology.
When Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper tried to explain in a year-end interview why he'd met the Dalai Lama in his Ottawa office, it was clear he wanted to show respect for the exiled Tibetan leader.

Unfortunately, it didn't quite come out that way.

"I met the Dalai Lama in my office but I meet everyone in my office. I don't know why I would sneak off to a hotel room just to meet the Dalai Lama. You know, he's not a call girl," Harper told OMNI television.

Where did we find that Reuters link? Why at none other than the Washington D.C. blog, Wonkette.

Harpers line is now making its way around the globe.

Harper's chief spokeswoman did not respond to a query as to whether the prime minister regretted his choice of words in the interview....
Steve, you're ruining Sandra's Christmas.

Hat tip reader Colin.

No comments: