Friday, January 05, 2007

Khan becomes Gollum to Harper's Saruman


UPDATED
So, I was out most of the day and I return to discover that Wajid Khan, who has effectively been a part of the Harper government since, well, the last election, has finally decided to make his drift into Mordor official.

There are some who feel Khan should resign.

Ummm, no. Who thought this wouldn't happen? Anyway, Khan is a politician. Politicians in Canada don't resign because they do something slimy, unethical or just plain pissy. Try to keep in mind what we're talking about here. These are people who make used car dealers look good. You can paint them any political colour you want. Once they've penetrated the top layer of pond scum and dry off, there isn't much difference in any of them.

The numbers strategists can go on from now until the cows come home, it won't change the fact that this whole thing looks like it was move to get Peter MacKay a new buddy.

Additional: Canadian Cynic suggests that I might be mixing my metaphors and that instead of putting Khan in the position of Gollum, I should actually have given him the persona of Grima Wormtongue. I understand CC's point completely and should point out that when I originally started this post, that was on my mind.
However, I changed the title at the last minute. Having read Tolkien years ago, and having had to run far too many lines with a young actor playing in several stage adaptations of Tolkien's work, I remembered that Gollum was a tortured individual, struggling with his inner selves, unable to reconcile his desire for power with his inability to hold it. He had no constituency, no friends and his alliances were purely mercenary in nature.
CC's graphic presentation is great, but my position is that Khan is much less attached to Harper than either Harper or Khan would be willing to admit.

And if there's a message Harper should take away with him it is another metaphor:

If they'll do it with you; they'll do it to you. Dr. Phil McGraw

More: Ok, I'll give in. The Wingnuterer has taken Canadian Cynic's graphic to another level. With that, I'll take that metaphor over mine. If they're going to put that much work into it, they deserve to be right.

No comments: