Monday, October 13, 2008

Conservative Majority

All things considered, that's what I hope tomorrow evening reveals.

Until such time as the Liberals, NDPers and Greens really understand the stakes, feel those stakes in the pits of their stomachs like acid, there's no chance that simple minded partisanship can be overcome.

We apparently need to actually watch the destruction of the possibility of progressive minded policies, not just talk about that destruction. We apparently need to watch a resurgence of the Bloc and separatist sentiment. We apparently need to be witness to the contemptuous treatment of our Constitution and Charter as Harper tries to redefine and redraw the country as an "open federation". Which in case you're wondering the Conservative Party website defines as this.

So I think Canadians will have to get a belly full and be on the verge of vomiting in panic before the urgency of the situation becomes clear.

That's fine with me. I'm quite well off. The Conservatives may well end up being quite good for this household. Some of what Harper says they're going to do, if he's not lying again, could well benefit me. If my vote was determined only by self-interest I could quite easily be a Conservative voter. But that's not all that determines my vote.

I have no idea what determines the votes of you, dear reader, although I know for certain that for many of you it's partisanship and partisanship only.

I hope you will be discomfited watching your partisanship hand the country over to Harper.

Sadly, I don't think you will be.

I think you will see a Harper majority as vindication for your partisanship. You will see the possibility of losing the Canada we know as a win for your side because you will have gained another seat or increased your vote share (and your funding from Elections Canada).

If, like me, you're quite well off and secure, it probably won't hurt much personally.

If you're not - well - I can't say your bleating will affect me much. You were told over and over what had to done to prevent this and you chose to remain with your head in the sand.

So get ready kids.

You've largely brought it on yourselves.

I trust it will be as excruciating as you think it will.

Just don't expect any sympathy from this corner.

No comments: