Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Mounties Always Give Themselves Permission

Good. Fucking. Christ.

What does it take?

A Chilliwack RCMP officer who threw a rock at a transit bus, hung out with a known criminal and ran into seven parked cars while driving drunk in North Vancouver is still on the job,..."

Are we expected to believe that this character is dependable?

Let me digress...

In the seventies and early eighties I participated in RCMP training at the depot in Regina as an actor in a domestic violence class doing improvs about domestic violence situations. We (the actors, usually one male and one female) would be given a scenario similar to one from the files and we would proceed to enact it. The instructor of the course would then call out to the rookies who were expected to intervene. Mostly they were a disaster at first but over time most improved.

My old Da, long gone now, was a certified psychology and drug dependency instructor at the depot.

Then in the early and mid nineties I supervised hospital security at Lions Gate Hospital in North Vancouver and got to know a number of the members of the local detachment at that time.

I got to know, for example, Jamie Graham, when he was still the OC in North Vancouver. I quite liked him and find his subsequent difficulties hard to fathom.

I worked very closely with the community policing liason officer of the day, whose name escapes me but who I liked and respected a great deal.

I list all this in the probably vain attempt to establish that I am not anti-RCMP.

But what the fuck is going on?

I recall sitting in a barber chair, probably around 1993 or thereabouts, listening to a member I thought I knew describe the entire concept of community policing as a wankers deception. This was during Graham's tenure here. I asked him about it. He asked me for the name of the member which I declined to give.

But I've got to say that I'm just fucking horrified that there is a member of my detachment in North Vancouver who appears to still have the confidence of his superiors following the above listed crimes and escapades .

Are we in Kabul, for fuck sake?

No comments: