Monday, April 03, 2006

Yikes! A first post.

Thankyou Dave and Cheryl for the opportunity and the trust.

Holy shit - now what?

I suppose I could get some anticipated initial questions out of the way.

I’m a 58-year-old male, married, who lives in North Vancouver. I spent over two decades as a professional actor on lots of different stages and in lots of different film and television projects. I got tired of it. I work now as a contractor for market research companies analyzing verbal data for similarity and difference. I love the english language. I have done several other things as well that may come into play from time to time. Who knows?

I like big questions. I’ve been known to obsess about one or another for months or years. And then discover another and obsess about that one. Naturally enough, from time to time, some of them recur to me in unusual ways.

For example: There is a certain retired US senator, whose name is well known though irrelevant to my point. At any rate, his wife recently announced that he has dementia. My first thought, my unconscionably unkind, damnable first thought was, “How does she know?”

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

But of course how do we know anything?

That’s what I mean by a big question though that one is certainly not the only one of it's kind.

There will undoubtedly be more. There always are.

Like this one.

Is it a prerequisite that a conservative must believe that the norms passed along by one’s forebears are inherently superior, morally and ethically, to the norms of the times in which one lives?

No comments: