Saturday, October 27, 2007

There were tens of us...


I hate protest rallies.
I hate the boring repetitive speeches, the completely off-topic signs from supporters of other causes, the waiting, the not high enough numbers, and the songs dear god the songs!
But I'm going.
After I wrote something about Afghanistan a couple of years ago, I got a message from RAWA, the Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan - not a personal message, a reprinted one I think.
It died with my old pooter but this is the part I remember :
"Thank you for your interest in our country and our fight for freedom.
Last week we held a protest outside the Ministry of Vice and Virtue.
There were tens of us. We are hopeful."
It was that "There were tens of us. We are hopeful."
I have to go every time now.
We can do it with hope.
We can do it without hope.
It only matters that we do it.
Oct. 27 Day of Action - Events across Canada

No comments: