Friday, September 05, 2008

66% of Canadians Would Vote for Obama

I know, I know, I had something similar up a little while ago but I was rushed and it was poorly delivered so I dumped it and I've started over.

The Decima poll that relates to these numbers is here.

Now let's see if I can make my thinking clear.

According to another Decima poll the percentage of Canadians who would vote for Harper is 33%.

That's one percentile less than the differential between the number who would vote for Obama and those who wouldn't.

Yes, yes, I know this is one poll and others say other things.

So 33% of Canadians would vote for Harper, according to this poll and yet 66% would vote for Obama. Including 55% of self-identified Conservative voters even though they were also the most likely to support McSame.

What's wrong with this picture?

Yes, yes, I know about the left/right differences between our two countries. Known about them for longer than many of you have been alive I don't doubt.

Still, it's interesting that the most left leaning candidate for president that the US has produced since FDR is that popular with 55% of Canadians who support the furthest right Prime Minister we've ever had.

The other thing I found interesting in these numbers was that mid sixties percentile range.

That's about the percentage of Canadians who didn't and don't want a Harper government.

Yet we're likely to get one anyway. Especially if the other polls that have been released recently turn out to be a better snapshot than this one.

Yes, yes, I know it's a long campaign. I've experienced more of them than most of you and I've been paying attention for quite some time now.

We really do have only one chance to eliminate Harper from the playing board.

We can find a way to take that chance now or we can find a way to take it after the big damage is done.

Big damage or temporary, strategic coalition.

The leadership and rank and file of the Liberals, NDP, Bloc or Green won't initiate anything among themselves. It's up to us to do something about it.

If we have the will. That's the big question, isn't it?

Is the future of Canada more important than political partisanship?

Maybe it isn't. Maybe partisanship trumps everything.

Choices, choices, choices.

No comments: