Friday, January 25, 2008

Geez Sandra, don't get too close to any open flames. UPDATED


Did I title this post right or what?

Now, our dear Ms. Buckler, god of spin, has gotten herself caught in one of her own traps. Her only way out? Admit that she was not telling the truth.
The Harper government's position that it was not aware the military had suspended the transfer of prisoners to Afghan custody fully unravelled Friday as the Prime Minister's communications director retracted comments she had made to that effect, while the Opposition claimed it was briefed on the policy change two weeks ago. [...] Ms. Buckler called Friday to say she “misspoke” but would not say whether the military had or had not informed the government.

“I should not have said what I said to you, I misspoke, and I wanted to make sure you were aware of that,” she said. “I made a mistake…what I said was wrong.”

Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion said Friday it is obvious the Prime Minister's Office was aware of the policy change because he and deputy leader Michael Ignatieff had been personally briefed on it in mid-January by Canadian officials during their visit to Afghanistan.

Mr. Dion said he was prohibited from making it public under a security undertaking the Liberals had agreed to before their visit.

“We never, Mr. Ignatieff and I, disclosed this information, we did not have the right to do so, it would not have been responsible for us to do so, but we were aware. We forcefully disagreed with it,” Mr. Dion said.

“This is the only reason why I never believed [the government's] story they were not aware.”

Ms. Buckler, when asked Friday whether the military had informed the government that the transfer of prisoners to Afghan jails had been suspended in November, would not comment.

“I shouldn't have said it and I'm not going to comment on operational decisions made by the military,” Ms. Buckler said.

Well, Sandra, there's more to that than you're telling anybody. You see I had a conversation today with somebody whose rank badges are a lot bigger than mine ever were and he had a lot to say about your statement. He called you some extremely nasty names.

In fact, Sandra, he said that this is not the first time that you have abused the Canadian Forces this way as a means to protect Harper. He said that the long knives are drawn. If you don't know what that means, go ask Rick Hillier.

And, yes, I had full permission to tell you that little bit of information. We've always believed that if someone was going to get a beating, they had the right to know it was coming. Fair play and all that.

If I were you, Sandra, I'd be getting my resume up to date.

UPDATE: Golly, gee, that was fast. First I have lunch with an old friend, who is one of those generally-likable kind of guys (hint, heavy hint) and damned if his words don't translate into action.
Sources at the Defence Department said military commanders were livid at the assertion and insisted the government was informed "promptly" after the transfers were halted.

"I can't give you dates and times right now, but it was soon after," said a source with knowledge of the briefings.

"There have been a lot of heated discussions around this place over the last 24 hours."

Allow me to add: You ain't seen nothin' yet, Buckwheat.

Now go read what Impolitical has to say on it.




H/T Impolitical

No comments: