Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Retired Arkansas Nurse Saves Chicken


OK, one more in the "You can't make this stuff up" department. From AP, (a much more reliable source than the Bolton post from Newswire).

A retired nurse in Arkansas has revived a drowned chicken.

Marian Morris saved her brother's exotic chicken, Boo Boo, by administering "mouth-to-beak" resuscitation on the fowl after it was found floating face down in the family's pond.
I'm wrestling with what I would do if I saw a chicken floating face down in a pond. Maybe I'd put up a sign - Do Not Drink The Water. Somehow the thought of reviving a chicken isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

Morris, a retired nurse, said she hadn't had any practice with CPR in years, but that she was interested to see if she "still had it."
Ummm... CPR?

"I breathed into its beak, and its dad-gum eyes popped open," Morris said. "I breathed into its beak again, and its eyes popped open again. "I said, 'I think this chicken's alive now. Keep it warm.'"
Uhuh! Well I guess she's still got it.

Morris said she was pleased to find that the bird she saved was an "exotic," and not just an ordinary chicken.
You mean she didn't know it was special before she put her lips on it?!!

The family thought Boo Boo was startled and flopped into the pond.
No suicide note was found.

I'm sure Marian will be put up for some sort of award.... right after she gets checked out for any one of several avian diseases.

No comments: