Friday, January 20, 2012

Harper MP displays ignorance

Yes, I know. You're shocked.
Conservative MP Wladyslaw Lizon has raised a little ridicule by sending a survey out in his ethnically diverse riding asking constituents if they speak “Indian.”
The problem, of course, is that there is no such language. In India, there are 29 languages each spoken by more than a million people, like Hindi, Bengali, Tamil and Punjabi. English, though the first language of few Indians, often serves as a common tongue. 
 A novel idea comes from one of the commenters to that story.
If only there was some sort of national survey that asked people questions about what languages they speak at home and other things MPs might need to know to better serve their constituents. I don't know what you would call it, a census maybe, that collected information about ordinary Canadians and how they live.
Harper's Canada: The politics of stupidity.

4 comments:

deBeauxOs said...

Actually it would shock me to discover that by asking about speaking "Indian", Con MP Lizon really meant some universal Canadian Aboriginal lingo franco that he must believe residents of Attawapiskat and other tribal lands such as Mississauga, once used to communicate with each other.

Contempt Party members consider ignorance a virtue, it seems.

Rev.Paperboy said...

yeah, if only there was some kinda of detailed survey the government could get people to fill out...

If anyone needs me I'll be outside banging my head against the large maple in the yard. I figure if I sufficiently concuss myself I can run for the CPC in the next election.

Holly Stick said...

Andrew Potter calls it the party of the deeply stupid today: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/Policy+neuronally+challenged/6029379/story.html

Anonymous said...

Good grief!! There are thousands of different languages spoken in Canada. English is the universal language, of the world.

The Chinese wanted their customs and culture to be taught in our schools. Can you imagine, every nationality wanting their culture to be taught in our schools?

Some of the crap Harper pulled, I do believe, Conservative MP Lizon is an ignoramus.