Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Acta non verba


It really is hard to believe how she could possibly make herself look worse, but Lisa Raitt, even with tears, can't even get over herself enough to get the apology right. What a piece of work:

As somebody who has had in their personal life been deeply affected by cancer, my intent was certainly not to show any disrespect for cancer victims, survivors, or their families.

However, it's clear that these remarks have been interpreted in that way. So I want to offer a clear apology to anyone who has been offended by what I've said.

I want people to know that when I was 11 years old, I watched my father pass away from colon cancer over a period of 18 months. My mother and I and my brother took care of him until his final days.

Twenty years later, I was in the room with my brother as he died from lung cancer. As you can see, it's a very personal issue for me, and it's one that I really don't take lightly.

With respect to the medical isotopes issue, however, I will continue to work with Minister Aglukkaq and the international community to address the isotopes shortage in Canada and around the world.

Thank you.

Reptillian tears and narcissistic bullshit. Raitt's first, second and last sentences completely neutralised all meaning behind her apology and despicably further the insult.

1.
As somebody who has had in their personal life been deeply affected by cancer, my intent was certainly not to show any disrespect for cancer victims, survivors, or their families.
Sure I'll buy that. Her intent was not to show disrespect to cancer victims and their families because they probably never even entered her petty little mind. Indeed, the only thing on her mind was Lisa Raitt. Result: meaningless statement designed to deflect from the fact she insulted people and draw attention to her own family experiences in the hopes that we'll all come down with a case of cognitive dissonance and feel sorry for her because this is so sniff sniff hard.. We see the beginning of another stream of narcissistic bullshit. Only unlike the tape's I-am-so-great sexiness, we get feel-sorry-for-me-because-I-didn't-mean-it crocodile tears. The strawman of her own family experience with cancer becomes a sick use of family grief to further her political survival, as we shall see.

2.
However, it's clear that these remarks have been interpreted in that way. So I want to offer a clear apology to anyone who has been offended by what I've said.
Yes, it is very clear they've been interpreted that way, because they remain extremely disrespectful to the victims of cancer and their loved ones, full stop. Stating they've been interpreted subtly insinuates that there is something wrong on the part of the interpreters, and not with the comments. Which makes her offer of a "clear apology" utterly meaningless because she herself cannot recognise the issue with her comments. Imagine if she had said something like, "I recognise my comments were cruel and insensitive to victims of cancer and their loved ones. I have no excuse and should have known better, especially considering my own family experience with cancer. I am deeply sorry for the hurt I have caused." I am sure readers can see the difference.

3.
With respect to the medical isotopes issue, however, I will continue to work with Minister Aglukkaq and the international community to address the isotopes shortage in Canada and around the world.

Even without changing her earlier words, if this last sentence amounted to a declaration of resignation, it would have been an acceptable apology of sorts. Instead we are asked to snort a line of dissonant runny bovine faecal matter which essentially reads,
"I'm sorry you're upset because you misinterpreted my comments, I had cancer in my family, so aside from crying in public, I will keep my job and suffer no consequences."
Result: EPIC FAIL.

Seriously, are they all sociopaths?

No comments: